Chester Voluntary Action has enjoyed strong links with Chester’s voluntary, community and faith sector over many years. This has included playing a key role in setting up some of Chester’s major local charities including Chester CAB, Chester Aid to the Homeless, Chester Crossroads and Chester Lodgings and Support Project.
The organisation was established in 1914 as Chester Council of Social Welfare. A strong social welfare focus included acting as an almoner for the needy and running “Citizen’s friend”, an advice and information service around pensioners, insurance and social services. The organisation became Chester and District Council of Social Welfare and Citizens Advice Bureau in 1939; Chester CAB became a separate organisation in 1983.
In the early 70s there was a change of name to Chester Council of Community Service, with a remit widened from social welfare to the “whole field of community service” (1973 Annual Report).
The organisation appointed its first Volunteer Co-ordinator in 1971 and went on to establish a Volunteer Bureau (VB) in 1982, when it also became a registered charity.
In 2005-06 the organisation changed from Chester CVS to Chester Voluntary Action and the Volunteer Bureau was “re-branded” as Volunteer Centre (VC) Chester.
CVA became a Company Limited by Guarantee in 2010.